Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 13 November 2014

The Tridentine Profession of Faith


Rorate Caeli marks the 450th anniversary today of the promulgation of the Profession of Faith of the Council of Trent with a post which includes a translation of the creedal statement into English as well as alink to the Latin original. It can be seen at  November 13, 1564 - 2014 : 450th Anniversary of the Profession of Faith of the Council of Trent

 
 
The Council of Trent meeting in the church of Santa Maria Maggiore in Trent

Unknown artist, late seventeenth century

Image: Wikipedia



No comments: