Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Sunday 30 November 2014

St Andrew in medieval stained glass


That fine photographer the Rev Gordon Plumb has posted a selection of images of St Andrew in English and French medieval stained glass on the Medieval Religion discussion group, which I thought I would share with readers:


Heydour, St Michael, Lincolnshire, sVII, C2

Orchadleigh, St Mary, sII, 3b

Long Melford, Holy Trinity,Suffolk, nXV, 5b

Doddiscombsleigh, St Michael, Devon, nIV, 2c

Greystoke, St Andrew, Cumbria, [A church I have featured before] East window - scenes from the life of St Andrew

Fledborough, St Gregory, Nottinghamshire, nIII, 1a, most unusual 14thC almost monochrome glass:

Sées Cathedral, Bay 6, central figure with bmodern head - later 13thC

Stanford-on-Avon, St Nicholas, Northamptonshire, [A church I have featured before] sII, 2c 14thC

Winchester Cathedral, Choir Clerestory, East window, 1d-2d

Melbury Bubb, St Mary, Dorset, wI, D - fairly crude figures 15thC.


No comments: