Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 18 June 2010

Lady Thatcher at the Oxford Union


Last night was the farewell debate of the Oxford Union and the retiring President gave it a Falklands theme, having been spent part of her upbringing in the islands. Nonetheless it was something of a surprise to see Lady Thatcher in the Union bar, resplendent in blue and pearls as in those heady days of 1982. the distinctive husky voice, the authoritative manner and the handbag were all in evidence.

Now I do not want to mislead you too far, this was not actually the Baroness Thatcher of Kesteven LG, OM, but a former President of OUCA attired in the persona - and I must add that the young man concerned made a very good effort in the part. Almost worryingly so, considering how well he managed to walk in high heels, though he did admit to having bought them and then dashed from the shop concerned. So last night the unwary could have seem the Lady herself in the Oxford Union bar, pint of ale in hand, or standing with said pint smoking a cheroot in the gardens. The Oxford Union, where else?

Photographs were being taken - I will track one down, dear readers.

No comments: