Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 12 May 2022

Marian Pilgrimage - Our Lady of Grace of Ipswich


The shrine of Our Lady at Ipswich was one of the most celebrated shrines of later medieval England and I recount the story of that, of the apparent, indeed remarkable, survival of the statue itself at Nettuno in Italy, where it can still be venerated alongside the cult of St Maria Goretti, and the revival of a shrine in Ipswich in my account from last year which can be read at Our Lady of Grace of Ipswich

Our Lady of Grace of Ipswich Pray for us
 

No comments: