Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 6 May 2022

Crusader hand grenades


I have come across two articles recently about the identification of what can only be construed as a twelfth century grenade from the Crusader kingdom in the Holy Land. Though such things were recorded the lack of evidence had made modern scholars sceptical as to their actual use and composition.


Reading the articles led me to think of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I am not a particular fan of Monty Python, though the Holy Grail film is among their better work, but it seems appropriate to add the link to the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch in this post.


No comments: