Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Sunday 8 May 2022

Marian Pilgrimage - Our Lady of Muswell


The pilgrimage stop today at Our Lady of Muswell is now probably the least remembered, after those at Willesden and Islington, of the three shrines in what were once villages to the north of London. Like many other of the shrines on this route they have left little in the way of archival or archaeological evidence, yet attracted pilgrims - numbers again unknown - over several centuries.

The history of this shrine is outlined in Our Lady of Muswell

Our Lady of Muswell Pray for us


No comments: