Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 19 May 2022

The Ryedale Hoard


I chanced upon a new video from History Hit about four second century bronze objects found by two metal detectorists in 2020 near Ampleforth in Yorkshire and which have now gone on display in the Yorkshire Museum in York.

The video discusses them as individual objects and their significance but then seeks to place them in the context of second century Yorkshire and explores four options for their being buried. It also relates the four pieces to other items on display alongside them in the Museum. This does therefore present them as part of the life of Britannia in the period rather than just objects in a display case with no recovered or conjectured history.



No comments: