Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 31 May 2022

Marian Pilgrimage - Our Lady of Walsingham


The virtual Marian Pilgrimage reaches its conclusion today at Walsingham.

Interior of the Slipper Chapel at the Shrine of Our Lady of Wal;singham

The restored Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham in the Slipper Chapel

Image: The Catholic Travel Guide

I wrote about the Shrine and its history, as well as new theories about its origin and the fate of the statue last year in Our Lady of Walsingham and with links to previous posts relating to it.

I have just come upon an article from the US Episcopalian magazine The Living Church and written by my old Pusey House friend the Rev. Mark Michael, about the argument that the original statue of Our Lady of Walsingham has indeed survived and is now, known as the Langham Madonna, in the Victoria and Albert Museum. It can be read at Original Our Lady of Walsingham Statue May Be in London’s V & A

The Langham Madonna (left) and the modern statue at Walsingham. 
Images: ©Victoria and Albert Museum, London; walsingham.org.uk; The Living Church

Our Lady of Walsingham Pray for us


No comments: