Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 6 June 2020

Quiz Time for Royalists and Parliamentarians


At the end of April I posted Quiz time for Whigs and Tories which aims to calculate where one would fit into the politics of the reign of Queen Anne.

That was sent to me by the Special Correspondent who has now found another such quiz on the same site, this time about the English Civil War, and where one might be found in the political spectrum, not to say maelstrom of those years. It can be found at political_compass_english_civil_war_edition

I think it about reflected where I would have been, although I would tweak my position a bit. 

It is a harmless way of passing time, if only for five minutes, in the contemporary situation, but also quite a good way to get one thinking about what choices, and why, one might have made, had one been around, in the 1640s.

No comments: