Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 29 April 2014

John Lydgate was here


David Clayton, whom I knew when he was working here in Oxford, has an interesting post on the New Liturgical Movement, to which he is a regular contributor, about the latest discoveries in Suffolk of medieval graffiti in the chuirch at Lidgate which are the work of the fifteenth century English Benedictine poet John Lydgate. 

David's post can be read at Graffiti in English Medieval Churches,and the link to the article from the Observer about the inscriptions and Lydgate's career is well worth following from the link he provides. 

Both the Observer article and the autograph graffiti are of interest in revealing some very human anecdotes about daily life in rural Suffolk in the late middle ages - a reminder of how life has not changed as much as we are often told it has.




No comments: