Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 10 October 2013

Mass for the feast of Bl.John Henry Newman


Yesterday evening I attended the Solemn Mass to mark the feast of Bl. John Henry Newman at the Oxford Oratory. The principal intention was for the cause of the Cardinal's canonization.


http://www.westerhamcatholic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/john-henry-newman.jpg

Bl. John Henry Newman
Portrait by Sir John Everett Millais, 1881

Image:westerhamcatholic.com

In his sermon the Provost, Fr Daniel, who was the celebrant of the Mass, spoke of Newman as the man of faith and of reason and drew out the significance of that for this current Year of Faith.

At the conclusion for the recessional hymn we sang a new Latin composition by Fr John Hunwicke in honour of Bl. John Henry, and which skillfully combines traditional structure and style with apposite references to Newman's life and legacy. The hymn was commissioned by the Birmingham Oratory and the text can be read here.

Afterwards, and to continue the celebration, I went off for supper with a fellow Orielensis at which we toasted Newman and his works.







No comments: