Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Sunday 18 November 2012

A Cloud of Witnesses


The last couple of days have been replete with saints to commemorate, and I thought I would give the links to the posts I published last year about them for those readers who may not have seen them then, or for whom they are new.

So for Friday there is this post about St Margaret of Scotland and also one about St Edmund of Abingdon.

For yesterday there are posts about St Hilda and Whitby, St Hugh of Lincoln and St Elisabeth of Hungary.

May they all pray for their particular patronages and for all who seek their intercession.

No comments: