Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 11 March 2021

The Patriarch Joseph in Lent


The responsaries at Mattins today were about the selling into slavery of Joseph, and reminded me to post the link to an article on the New Liturgical Movement and published last week which is about the place the Patriarch Joseph has in the Lenten liturgy. 

The rich potential for exploring the typology inherent in the story of Joseph as it relates to Our Lord is certainly evident in the traditional liturgy, slightly less so in the modern one. When I was still an Anglican I used to think that this was a theme that was not opened up in their liturgy as I was to discover it was in traditional Catholicism. Even then it is perhaps surprising that it has not been explored more over the centuries by artists in painting and sculpture. It is a lively story with plenty of drama and visual potential. 

The NLM article can be seen at The Patriarch Joseph in the Liturgy of Lent


No comments: