Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 1 March 2021

Arms and Badges of the Princes of Wales


File:Coat of Arms of Charles, Prince of Wales.svg

The coat of arms of HRH The Prince of Wales

Image:Wikipedia 

As today is the national day of Wales it seems a very suitable one on which to share the link to an excellent website on the arms and heraldic badges of successive Princes of Wales. The site brings together a marvellous array of images from the twelfth century onwards to show the arms used or attributed both to the native Princes and to the heirs apparent to the English throne who have borne the title. I first saw it some years ago and it is far and away the most comprehensive account I have seen online, or indeed, in print other than Francis Jones’ The Princes and Principality of Wales published in 1969, and I am pleased to have been able to locate it once more in the Internet jungle.

The website, which is the work of a Dutch herald, also covers the other constituent parks of the United Kingdom and its remaining dependencies.

The section on Wales can be viewed at UKWales


Royal Badge of Wales.svg

The Royal Badge for Wales
Granted in 2008 to replace the 1953 design it is used on Acts of the Senedd - Welsh Assembly 

Image: Wikipedia


No comments: