Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 29 January 2021

The fabric of Solomon in all his glory


Once again the MailOnline has an interesting archaeological report. This is about the discovery of fabric dyed purple which by date and context belong to the court, indeed to the attire, of King Solomon and the elite which surrounded him. Purple has been historically a prized dye colour and because of its rarity and cost became emblematic of Imperial, Royal and, ultimately, Episcopal dignity.

The account of the discovery of the fabric and its wider context of copper production in the Timna Valley just north of Eilat can be read at Ancient purple thread from Israel is of shade worn by Biblical royals


No comments: