Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 26 January 2021

Photographing the Raphael Cartoons


The Art Newspaper has an article about a major project that has seen the comprehensive photographing of the magnificent Raphael Cartoons in the Royal Collection and which are on long term loan to the V&A. Acquired by King Charles I they were loaned by Queen Victoria to the Museum as part of her commemoration of the Prince Consort who was a devotee of Raphael’s work. It was the Prince who first had the series photographed in the late 1850s when they were still at Hampton Court.

The article, with information about the latest use of contemporary technology, can be viewed at Raphael Cartoons are ready for their close-up on V&A website


No comments: