Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Sunday 31 January 2021

Burying the Alleluia

  
Today is Septuagesima and hence in the Extrordinary Form we are in a new liturgical phase if not a full season, and until the Vigil of Easter ‘Alleluia’ is no longer sung. Traditionally the word was ceremonially buried on the eve of Septuagesima. A few years ago I posted about this custom twice and thought I would republish the pieces, which were well received at the time.

Burying the Alleluia is from 2012 and Burying the Alleluia (again) is from 2014.

I hope you find them of interest and remember, don’t say the ‘A word’ until the appropriate moment in the Triduum.


No comments: