Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 7 November 2020

More about the Greenwich Tiltyard


Having written in Greenwich Palace about the identification of the site of the tiltyard at the complex I have now found an article on LifeScience Essentials which gives more details about the history and nature of the buildings. It can be seen at Jousting yard where Henry VIII nearly died just discovered 5 feet under.

The Smithsonian website also has an article about the tiltyard discovery which can be seen at Researchers Find Remnants of Jousting Field Where Henry VIII Almost Died


No comments: