Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 28 November 2020

Irish Standing Crosses - and more besides


Perusing the Internet as one does in the current situation I came across an online article from the Irish Times by Roger Stalley relating to a book he has produced on the sculpted early medieval standing crosses of Ireland - notably those at Monasterboice in County Louth. The very useful article can be seen at Ireland’s high crosses: medieval art and engineering

Similar crosses are, of course, to be found at Iona, at Ruthwell and Bewcastle in what are now the Anglo-Scottish borders, further south in northern England and, once upon a time, at Reculver in Kent where they were seemingly venerated as relics in the sixteenth century.

I have posted before about Northumbrian examples in 2014, although unfortunately it appears that the images have disappeared from the post. It can be read at The Dream of the Rood


No comments: