Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Sunday 29 November 2020

Illuminated Charters


I recently came across an article about the reasons and way in which medieval charters were decorated by artists. The specific examples cited are Livonian and in particular the piece has a discussion of the reasons why what were practical medieval legal instruments were so frequently illustrated and decorated right across Europe.

The article, from Medieval Art Research, can be seen at Why Put Artwork All Over Your Document? Querying Illuminated Charters


No comments: