Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 30 November 2020

Minor Orders and the Subdiaconate


The distinguished liturgical scholar Peter Kwasniewski has an interesting post on the New Liturgical Movement website today about the current status of Minor Orders and of the Subdiaconate. The canonical uncertainty - not to mention the liturgical uncertainty - that has surrounded their status since 1973 is brought out well by the author and he indicates the conflicting lines of thought as to them, and maybe points to a way of resolving the ambiguity.

In recent years I - and many others - have attended Masses at which the Minor Orders were duly conferred on candidates who subsequently proceeded to Major Orders. The tradition of the Minor Orders is certainly alive and well. 

This useful article can be read at On the Status of Minor Orders and the Subdiaconate


No comments: