Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 6 July 2020

A return to Mass


Yesterday morning I attended the 11am celebration of the Mass at the Oxford Oratory. Although I have been able to virtually attend Mass each day through the ‘lockdown’ period through YouTube and similar systems at the Oxford, York and Bournemouth Oratories as well as FSSP in Warrington and Guadeloupe in Mexico, and occasional forays to SS Gregory and Augustine here in Oxford, the Birmingham Orstory and FSSP at Fribourg, this was the first time I had been physically present at Mass since March 19th. 

Allowing for the social distancing measures it was good to be back in the church, indeed any church, and to be able to participate, mumbling the responses into one’s face mask, and to be able to make my Communion.

It was also good to see old friends from the Oratory, both members of the Oratory community and of the regular congregation, and to catch up on news of how we have been passing our enforced isolation.

Photo by The Oxford Oratory in Oxford Oratory. Image may contain: one or more people and indoor

Mass on Saturday morning at 8am
Image: Oxford Oratory

Masses are back to the usual times at the Oxford Oratory plus an EF Mass every day at 8:10 Monday to Friday, and at 8 on Saturday, and as usual on Sunday. All Masses are streamed live on their YouTube channel. #oxfordoratory



No comments: