Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 25 July 2016

Santiago de Compostella


Today is the feast of St James the Great, the patron saint of Spain, and with his great shrine church at Santiago de Compostella.

image1.jpeg

St James the Moor Slayer

Image: breviary.net 


image1.jpeg

Santiago de Compostella

Image: us-mg42.mail


The Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela

Image: breviary.net


A friend from the Oxford Oratory has been walking the Pilgrimage route, El Camino, for several weeks. For Daniel this is more than the usual test of endurance - he always has to walk with crutches.
He arrived his on crutches there yesterday and sent the following message to his friends:

" I arrived in Santiago this afternoon, have paid my respects to the Apostle, said my prayers and am now eating Lemon and Orujo Sorbet and having a beer (Estrella de Galicia, of course) in the cafeteria of the Hotel Reyes Catholicos."

A great achievement on his part. Happy feast day to him and all other pilgrims to St James





1 comment:

John F H H said...

Some of the images not showing :(

Enjoy you posts and glad you are catching up.
Best wishes for a holy and happy Christmass.