Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 11 May 2016

Prof Dennis Nineham


A friend has sent me the link to the Daily Telegraph obituary of Professor Dennis Nineham, formerly Regius Professor of Theology at Cambridge, Warden of Keble College and Professor at Bristol.
Like the friend who sent the link I knew Prof. Nineham in his retirement when he served for several years as a Senior Member on the Library Committee of the Oxford Union. As my friend wrote "it really did show the breadth of an Oxford education when you spent time talking to people like this waiting for the Librarian to arrive."

Dennis Nineham was a courteous man, punctilious in attending meetings, unafraid to express his displeasure or disagreement with Union Officers if need be, but also displaying humour and also friendliness towards much younger people.

Theologically I suspect I did not have that much in common with him, but he is someone I do recall with regard as an example of the " old school " of academics here.

 
 
 

No comments: