Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 17 May 2023

Marian Pilgrimage - Our Lady on the Bridge at Wakefield


The Pilgrimage now moves back to Yorkshire and to one of its medieval architectural treasures the Chantry Chapel of Our Lady on the old bridge over the river Calder in Wakefield.

As I explain in my original note on this it has been a part of my life since my earliest days as well as being a notable and precious survival of fourteenth century craftsmanship. 

My illustrated account of it from 2020 can be read at Our Lady on the Bridge at Wakefield

Our Lady on the Bridge at Wakefield pray for The King and The Queen and for us all


No comments: