Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 23 May 2023

Marian Pilgrimage - Our Lady of All Hallows Barking by the Tower


The Pilgrimage now returns to London to visit one of the additions I have made to Canon Stevenson’s original list. The shrine is one which formed part of the complex at the church of All Hallows Barking by the Tower, which overlooks the Tower of London and Tower Hill.

My previous posts about it and the detailed links about its history can be accessed at Marian Pilgrimage - Our Lady of All Hallows Barking by the Tower

The royal connections of the devotional statue from the time of King Edward I onwards, and the fifteenth century royal chantry make this a particularly suitable shrine in this Coronation year.

Our Lady of All Hallows Barking by the Tower pray for The King and The Queen and for us all.


No comments: