Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 1 May 2023

May Marian Pilgrimage


The past three years I have posted daily posts in May following a pilgrimage route around many of the Marian shrines of medieval England. The list has grown somewhat as I have included some not on the original itinerary and augmented my accounts of the shrines.

This originally was something I created to mark the 2020 rededication of England as Our Lady’s Dowry, but it has not had a particular intention other than that. This year however I think it can have a specific intention, to pray for The King and The Queen, their coronation and reign. Where I can I will try to point to appropriate connections between the churches and the Crown.

This year I wil therefore repost the daily links from last year, and, if necessary, add additional historical information. or reflections. Because of other likely subjects to comment upon - notably around the Coronation - I was going to post them in weekly groups starting on May 1st, and then on the Sundays of the following weeks. However I have decided I will stick to my traditional way - how typical I hear readers say - and post them on the due day.

I have commented in past years that the itinerary is distinctly curious, a camino which crosses, recrosses and doubles back on itself, beginning symbolically at Glastonbury and ending, equally symbolically, at Walsingham. It is not a route to be attempted by car or public transport ….



No comments: