Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 23 May 2023

More on the new design of the heraldic Crown of Canada


A couple of weeks ago in New designs for the heraldic Crown and Royal Standard of Canada I wrote about the changes that had been announced and made to the artwork of the Crown to be used in the Royal Arms of Canada. I wondered in that post if such a change would be well received by those with a strong attachment to the Canadian Monarchy.

One such response is to be found in a blog post by Christopher McCreery, which clearly indicates his dislike of the new design, and what he sees as its constitutional impropriety. His article can be read at Paper Crown | Christopher McCreery


No comments: