Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 26 May 2023

Marian Pilgrimage - Our Lady of Windsor


The Pilgrimage now goes to Windsor to the statue of Our Lady which once stood in St George’s Chapel in the Castle. Last year I made the case for extending the Pilgrimage at this point by crossing the Thames to visit Our Lady of Eton as a further example of the medieval Royal quest for Marian intercession.

My previous posts and thoughts about these shrines can be accessed at Marian Pilgrimage - Our Lady of Windsor

The connection of the Crown to Windsor and to Eton is obvious and well known. Suffice it to say that apart from Westminster Abbey itself  nowhere expresses the English understanding of Throne and Altar, Church and State so completely as Windsor. 

Our Lady of Windsor, Our Lady of Eton pray for  The King and The Queen and for us all.


No comments: