Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 25 March 2023

Feast of The Annunciation


The Annunciation by Jan van Eyck 
Painted circa 1434-36
National Gallery of Art, Washington 
Image: Wikipedia 

For a study of the painting see the Wikipedia account at Annunciation (van Eyck, Washington)


New Liturgical Movement has a wide-ranging and informative article about the history of today’s feast and about the customs and conventions that have developed over the centuries around it.

The article can be seen at Lady Day


No comments: