Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 16 March 2023

Ruperra Castle - sign the petition


Country Life has an article by John Goodall about the condition of Ruperra Castle near Caerphilly in south Wales. Built in 1626 it is one of a group of houses built in the later years of the Elizabethan age and the reign of King James I when there was a last flowering of a romantic revival of chivalric culture - notably championed by Henry Prince of Wales. These “pavilion castles” were marked out by having round towers at the corners of their four-square blocks and sought to suggest the style of older castles with the use of battlements and suchlike features. Ruperra was damaged by fire in 1785 and reconstructed, but burnt out again in 1941 when requisitioned for the military. Since then the ruins have mouldered and in 1982 one corner tower collapsed. 

The article draws attention to the need for Cadw and other relevant bodies to take appropriate action for the maintenance of the ruins and has a link to a petition to the Senedd for such policies to be applied in this and similar cases. I have signed and urge my readers to do so as well. 

The illustrated article can be read at The fate of Ruperra Castle 'is a national scandal’

There is more about the history of the castle and its grounds on the impressive and informative website of the Ruperra Castle Preservation Trust, together with details of how to join the Trust, which I shall do, and all of which can be viewed at Welcome to Ruperra Castle - Castell Rhiw'r Perrai



No comments: