Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 4 March 2023

A thirteenth century hoard in Schleswig


Live Science reports the discovery in by a metal detector in Schleswig of a treasure hoard from the thirteenth century which contains Danish silver coins, which help date the hoard to sometime around or after 1234, Byzantine jewellery and an imitation Islamic coin.

The variety of the contents of the hoard point to trade in the post-Viking era as the medieval economy continued to flourish and expand. The fact of the discovery being made where it was points to the importance in such matters the position of Schleswig afforded to traders with links across Europe and the world beyond.



No comments: