Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 20 March 2023

Thy Chosen Servant - Prayer Book Society talks on the Coronation


The Prayer Book Society is holding a series of five online talks under the title of Thy Chosen Servant about the Coronation service. I was only alerted last week to the existence of the lectures with advance notice of the third one. They are being recorded and those that have already been delivered are now available on the PBS website via YouTube at https://www.pbs.org.uk/publications/coronation/

The remaining two are being delivered live on Wednesday evenings on March 22nd and 29th at 7.30pm. 

 

Last week’s talk by Canon Robin Ward, the Principal of St Stephen’s House in Oxford,  was an excellent introduction to the pieces of regalia, robes, and the ceremonial furniture that will be used on May 6th.

In it he refers positively to a series of videos on the Coronation posted on YouTube by Allan Barton - The Antiquary. I too would recommend searching these out and watching them. I would also recommend Allan’s journal  The Antiquary Magazine, which can be subscribed to online or in printed form.


No comments: