Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 13 March 2023

More about the Colchester Vase


I recently posted in Roman Colchester about the Roman vase found in the town in the nineteenth century with its depiction of gladiators fighting and the latest interpretation that it is evidence for gladiatorial contests in Roman Britain. My post contains several links to articles about it. The vase is a work of great importance and was one of the items selected to be shown to the King and Queen when they visited Colchester last week to mark the grant to it of city status.

There is now a further article on the Live Science website about the piece which gives additional information and which can be seen at Gladiators fought in Roman Britain, action-packed cremation urn carvings reveal


No comments: