Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 1 February 2023

More about the Harpole Cross


The History Blog has an article about the silver cross found in the grave at Harpole in Northamptonshire which I posted about yesterday. This gives much more about the size and scale of the item and about its design, and whets the appetite further to see the cross finally revealed.



No comments: