Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 27 February 2023

Another critique of Vatican policy towards the Traditional Mass


Rorate Cæli reproduces the text of a discreetly scathing critique of the attitude of the Vatican towards the celebration of the Traditionsl Mass. It makes some excellent points about Mass attendance and the appeal of the TLM to younger people. The author, Luisella Scrosati, also draws attention to the fact that so many influential figures in this matter are all products of the Pontifical Athenaeum of St Anselm. I do wonder what that great Archbishop of Canterbury and Doctor of the Church would make of them.



No comments: