Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 21 February 2023

The Olney Pancake Race


Today is Shrove Tuesday and in Olney in Buckinghamshire it is the day of the annual Pancake Race run by the housewives of the town. The tradition is said to date from 1445. 

I was reminded of the custom by an article on the BBC News website about it and which can be read at Olney: The town where a pancake race is a global event

The official website for the race has more details about the custom in its History section.

There are other online articles about the race with additional details at Olney Pancake Race, at A Pancake Race History and at Why Olney leads the way in the history of the pancake day race


Long may it flourish.



No comments: