Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 15 February 2023

Roman life and industry in Northamptonshire


The BBC News website has two reports recently about the continuing excavation of a site at Prior Park at Corby in advance of a major housing development which has revealed much about life there under Roman rule.

The reports about the results so far of the excavation can be seen at Roman tile imprints question worker theory and at Roman helmet handle signals later army presence.

 

No comments: