Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 14 February 2023

Early medieval settlement in the Peak District


Archaeologists working at Under Whittle at Longnor in the Peak District have found that the site was occupied several centuries earlier than had been thought. On the evidence of pollen found in peat the first known occupants were ninth century Anglo-Saxons rather than later farmers moving into new areas in response to rising population in the twelfth or thirteenth centuries.

It is a reminder, or further proof, that the history of the landscape is rich and deep, far more complex than a superficial glance or unquestioning acceptance of what we see now  as being what it has always been. It is another reason to be grateful for the work and insight of W.G.Hoskins and his classic The Making of the English Landscape.
 

I am left wondering if any or some of my Derbyshire ancestors may have been there before moving into neighbouring Peakland valleys. It is, so far as I can tell,bod course completely unknowable.


No comments: