Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Sunday 23 January 2022

The library of Roche Abbey


The Tudor Travel Guide has a guest post by Michael Carter of English Heritage about the dispersal and, seemingly all save eight volumes, subsequent destruction of the library of the Cistercian abbey at Roche, which lies at the southern tip of the West Riding, following the surrender of the monastery to the King’s Commisdioners in June 1538. The fate of the library is placed into the context of what else is known about how some books survived from other Yorkshire monasteries at that time. The article, together with additional links, can be read at Lost & Found: Remarkable Survival of Monastic Books

Some of the same material is used, together with other sources about the eighteenth century landscaping of the site by Capability Brown for the Earl of Scarborough, in an account of the abbey from the Yorkshire Post in 2017 which can be seen at The Abbey habit

In 2013 I also used some of the same material the other two authors used, the account of the ransacking of the abbey in 1538 written by Michael Sherbroke, born in 1535 and later Rector of the nearby parish of Wickersley 1567-1610. This was based on the recollections of his father and uncle. His full account can be read in my post The Suppression of Roche Abbey in 1538 - a personal view


That not only looks at the dissolution of Roche but also at my family connections with the abbey and its land and estates.


No comments: