Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 4 January 2022

Interview with the Clever Boy


My Oxford friend George from Ireland has a vlog on which he posts his thoughts on current events and also on perhaps lesser known historical sites in London or in his native Ireland. He also occasionally does interviews with people. Last week he was back in Oxford and filmed one such with me. Recorded on his mobile phone in the hotel coffee lounge I think it comes out quite well, especially as I had no real warning of what I was going to be asked, Mind you a normal conversation with George can be like that …

For those of my readers who want an idea of the Clever Boy in conversation, well almost in monologue mode, and to hear my thoughts on a number of historical themes, the video can be viewed at: 

1 comment:

Zephyrinus said...

Dear John.

Thank You for this most interesting and illuminating
video of your conversation with George from Ireland.

Fascinating stuff. Beautifully put together.

May I, respectfully, suggest that you contemplate doing more
of these YouTube Discussions and/or Presentations.

I feel sure that you would increase your already large following.

in Domino