Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 25 January 2022

Sale of the King Henry III gold penny


I recently posted in Another gold penny of King Henry III about the forthcoming sale of a King Henry III gold penny, minted in 1257 and discovered by a metal detector in a Devon field last autumn. It is one of only eight known examples of this coin, the first gold coin to be struck in England after 1066.  Last weekend the coin was sold at auction for a record price, and happily the new owner intends to keep it in this country and to loan it to a museum for public viewing.

My previous post had a number of links to articles about the coin, its iconography and place in the monetary history of this country. Here are two more articles about it and the sale. The first is from the Mail Online and can be seen at Metal detectorist finds one of England's 'first ever gold coins' and the second is from the latest Medievalists.net posting on their website and is available at Medieval gold penny could fetch up to £400,000 at auction

This article draws out more about the design of the coin and what it sought to express to those who handled it. As a piece it is further testimony to the artistic sensibilities and patronage of the King and to his vision of his position as monarch.

I liked the finder saying that he had paid a visit to Westminster Abbey to thank King Henry III for having made the discovery and its resulting boost to his family finances. I rather think that the King would appreciate that.


No comments: