Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 29 September 2020

St Michael the Archangel


Today is the Feast of St Michael the Archangel, and to celebrate it I am posting this splendid late medieval Aragonese image of him:
                              
 

From the retable in the Church of Santa María la Mayor, Alcañiz (Teruel).

Attributed to the workshop of Domingo Ram, active 1462-96.

Image: Jesús Díaz.


St Michael on the Day of Judgement is weighing souls whilst spearing the Devil, who is trying to hold down one of the scale pans.

I do not think the Devil has much chance of getting away... which is as it should be/will be on the Day of Judgement.

Holy Michael Archangel defend us in the day of battle. Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the Devil and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the power of God thrust down into Hell Satan and all other evil spirits who wander through the earth to the ruin of souls. Amen.


No comments: