Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 29 September 2020

More about St Michael


Before Michaelmas Day is over I see there is an interesting post about the Archangel by Gregory DiPippo on the New Liturgical Movement. It is about the apocryphal accounts in Jewish texts of St Michael from before the Christian era, and how they influenced both the few actual references to him in the canonical New Testament and their appearance both in art and in liturgical texts. The post can be read at St Michael in the Apocrypha


No comments: