Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 10 August 2016

Casting light on the interior of Salisbury's spire


An article in The Daily Telegraph the other day concerned a Salisbury Cathedral volunteer who has helped to cast light on the interior of the 180ft spire by paying £5,000 to have new light bulbs installed.
It is the tallest spire in Britain, with hundreds of thousands of visitors flocking to Salisbury Cathedral every year to walk up its 332 narrow steps and get a closer look at the fourteenth century architecture and the timber reinforcement inserted between 1346 and 1376 to stabilise the spire.

The illustrated article can be viewed here.






No comments: