Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 8 October 2024

The Shroud of Turin and AI


The recent publicity about the recent research into the date of the Shroud of Turin, about which I have posted several times recently, has now yielded another article. This is in the Daily Express who have produced an AI reconstruction of the Man in the Shroud. I have seen at least one artist’s impression of the face which looks very credible, but this new image has greater impact on the modern eye, accustomed as we are to photographs. Like all such facial reconstructions it carries all the strengths and limitations of a developing technology with it, but it seems to be a very impressive result. As with all things to do with the Holy Shroud it is at the interface of science and faith. 

The article, and the facial reconstruction can be seen at 'Face of Jesus' unveiled by AI using Shroud of Turin after astonishing discovery


No comments: