Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Sunday 6 October 2024

The evolution of the Lincolnshire Coastline


The other evening I came upon a really excellent online video about the evolution over much of the last two millennia of the Lincolnshire coast. It is presented by Dr Caitlin Green whose work on this subject I have encountered before. The story she tells is fascinating, and more complex than being merely a story of gradual coastal erosion as in the case of the East Riding with its many villages swept away by the North Sea or of the eastern coast of Norfolk and Suffolk and the loss of towns such as Dunwich. Whether you know the area or not it is very interesting as a survey of change and human adaptation over time.



No comments: