Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 25 October 2024

Medieval Women at the British Library


The Smithsonian Magazine has a very good preview and introduction to the British Library’s new exhibition Medieval Women: In Their Own Words. The exhibition clearly draws together familiar figures with less well known women who have left a presence in the written record and in the works of illustrators and artists. Some of these are unique and chance survivals such as the autobiography of Margery Kempe, or have to be trawled from administrative recorde.

The exhibition opens today and runs until March 2bd next year.

The well illustrated introductory article can be seen at These Rare Artifacts Tell Medieval Women's Stories in Their Own Words


No comments: