Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 5 October 2024

The new dating work on the Shroud of Turin


The Daily Telegraph has an article about the most recent work to try to establish a secure scientific date for the Shroud of Turin. I wrote about this recently in The science of the Shroud of Turin and in More on the Holy Shroud

This new article looks at the X-ray method involved and talks to the scientists who conducted the investigation. This assigns a clear first century date, compatible with other, archaeological, finds from the Holy Land. As the scientists involved say they have proved its age. That does not “prove” the Gospel accounts, but it goes a significant way, a very significant way, towards making them believable to a sceptical modern world. As I wrote in my recent posts on this matter absolute certainty can never be obtained, but the judicial burdens of proof of “beyond reasonable doubt” or of “with reasonable certainty” can be applied when we are seeking an answer. The article can be seen at We proved how old the Shroud of Turin really is – the rest is a matter of faith

I have posted previously about the Shroud in earlier years as in 2012 in The Shroud of Turin and in 2021 in The Shroud of Turin



No comments: