Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 22 October 2024

Honorius Augustodunensis’ “Gemma animae


The latest Minute Missive from the FSSP has a review by Fr William Rock of a new academic edition of Honorius Agustodunensis’ Gemma animae or Jewel of the Soul. Dating from the early twelfth century it is a commentary on the liturgy and choir offices as they were celebrated at the time. It was widely read in succeeding years, although eventually  superseded by Durandus’ Rationale at the end of the thirteenth century.

The review brings out the importance of the text and places it in the context of the evolution of theological opinion at the time. It can be read at Jewel of the Soul - A Short Review

What little is known about Honorious himself, and a list of his other writings, is set out by Wikipedia at Honorius Augustodunensis




No comments: